By default in Ubuntu you need to install vpnc to connect to the University of Sheffield VPN. You can do this with:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-vpnc
You will need a Remote Access Password in order to connect. If you don’t have one, you can request a remote access password from CICS. Note this is not your regular account password.
With vpnc installed, set up the VPN by:
- Open System Settings and click Network.
- Click the + to create a new service.
- From the Interface drop-down menu select VPN.
- A new menu for VPN Connection Type will appear. Select Cisco Compatible VPN (vpnc).
- You can rename you VPN connection if you wish by editing the Connection Name.
- In the gateway field enter: vpn.shef.ac.uk
- In account name enter your University username.
- Change Always Ask for password to Saved in the drop-down list.
- Enter your Remote Access password in the User password field.
- Change Always Ask for Group password to Saved in the drop-down list.
- For both Group name and Group password enter Unishef
- Click Save.
- Your VPN is now set up. To use it left-click on the network icon in the status bar (two arrows facing up and down), select VPN connections and choose your new VPN.